Today we take a look at one of our favorite gaming chairs, the K-Series from DXRacer. The ‘K’ stands for ‘king’ and is the current flagship and record holder in terms of sales figures. Generous proportions, comprehensive adjustment options, a particularly robust frame as well as its ‘royal’ design is what makes this chair so attractive. In this detailed review, we are going to examine this particular gaming office chair carefully and check whether or not he lives up to his reputation.
DXRacer King Series Review: Technical Data
First, we start with the most important features in this review. On paper, most of you will notice that there are small but subtle differences to the majority of other gaming office chairs. Let’s take a look:
- Seat’s material: PU leather
- Color in this DXRacer test: Black with carbon look
- Load capacity (official): 150kg / 330lbs
- Angle of the backrest: 90 to 135 degrees
- Frame: Robust aluminum base
- Adjustable armrests (5-way)
- Adjustable and lockable rocking function
- Support cushion for lumbar and neck area
DXRacer King Review: The First Impression
As the package arrived, we were surprised on how heavy it was. The parceled chair weighs a total 55lbs – if you live in the upper floor, you gonna have fun :).
After unpacking the gaming office chair, we went straight to the assembly. The good news is, there are no additional tools needed and the individual parts are also made precise enough so that you have absolutely no problems in building the chair. While assembling the DXRacer there was not frustration at all which definitely is a plus! The assembly takes about 20-30 minutes and if there are some problems and you don’t know where to go on, you can scan the QR-code on the manual to watch a detailed video of the assembly – exemplary work!
Conclusion after the first steps
While building the gaming office chair, we immediately took notice that all the chair’s parts – backrest, seat, rollers aluminum base etc. – are generously dimensioned and robust in comparison to cheaper pc gaming chairs. We also want to mention the processing of the rollers, which have some soft rubber on it and therefore roll much quieter than the standard rollers of its competitors. An additional nice feature are the nubs at the end of the base to prevent slipping of your feet. That said, the quality and workmanship are at a very high level – We are used to it from previous DXRacer gaming chairs like the Racing / Formula Series – nothing to complain about at this point.
Comfort and long-term abilities
As we have now been sitting in lots of different office, gaming and executive chairs, we soon noticed the enormous amount of freedom for thighs and shoulders due to the larger measurements of the chair. The DXRacer King Series offers a less aggressive support compared to many of its cheaper competitors, which overall feels very comfortable. Sure, the ‘racing feeling’ is a bit lost, but you get compensated by generosity and space, which is throughout provided by the K-Series. This is why we call it gaming office chair, because it unites the advantages of both chair types. Sitting on the K-Series, you will literally feel like a king on his throne.
Especially gamers with wider thighs or let’s say a bigger stature often have problems with too much side support. Even if the first impression is good, it fades quickly if the seat is pressing and nipping. If you are a person who loves freedom and space, and don’t like the sports cars feeling anyway, the K-Series might be exactly the right choice for you.
One word about the ergonomics: If you think you’ll miss an ergonomic support due to the wide measurements of the chair, don’t be afraid. You can adjust your position with the two support pillows and take a healthy sitting posture. The individually adjustable armrests also contribute to a generally comfortable and healthy sitting position.
DXRacer King Series Review: Adjustments
- 5-D Armrests: You probably have wondered already what the fifth direction will be – As we did when reading the features of the K-Series. Like every modern office chair, you can adjust the armrests in height, turn them, pushing them back and forth and adjust them in and out. In addition, you can now adjust the whole armrest, including its mounting bracket even wider or tighter. To do this, you have to adjust two screws at the bottom and you will get about two inches of extra space – not a lot, but still good. Strictly speaking, the fifth direction here is not a completely new dimension.
- Backrest: From 90 to 135 degrees, everything is possible – infinitely variable. With other chairs, you can set the backrest even further in the horizontal direction (up to 180 degrees), however, this makes little sense unless you like to play dentist on your gaming chair (or if you have your TV mounted at your ceiling J ). The DXRacer also has a rocking function, which can be adapted in every possible way and sensitivity.
- Lumbar and neck pillow: The lumbar pillow is mounted at two straps and slides up and down to the position where you want it to be. The neck pillow however, can’t be adjusted very far down (bad for smaller people).
- Seat height: The seat can be adjusted in a range of only about 5 inches via the gas lift. There are products on the market, for example the Vertagear SL-2000 that do a better job here.
For which stature is the K-Series suitable?
As always, the ‘official’ information from stores and manufacturers differ: One says the chair is made for people from 5″9 to 6″1, the other says it is for 5″11 to 6″7. If you look at the loading capacity, it is quite similar: When the chair was introduced, DXRacer said it could carry people up to 180kg (360lbs), which was corrected by the time to 150kg (300lbs) as the upper limit. You can speculate here – maybe the corrections were made due to the new DXRacer Tank Series with their maximum load of 200kg (400lbs). Speaking for myself, I am 6’’3 and fit very comfortably in the DXRacer K-Series and even for smaller persons of 5’’7, the chair is fine.
Color variations and accessories
- Available colors: Looking at different stores, you can find the customary colors also available for the King-Series. Red, green, blue, white, grey and black – there is something for everyone. I personally like it simple and chose the black one.
- Accessories: Actually, the chair already has everything the gamer’s heart desires. If you like, you can purchase the one or other small upgrade. We recommend to take a look at the Blade Rollers from DXRacer itself, which allow the King to slide on parquet or laminate even quieter. If you take these, you don’t have to buy a special office chair pad to protect your surface. There’s also an optional U-shaped pillow for the best possible head posture available.
Don't make a mistake! It's worth it to compare the internet's price with that at your local store. In general, you'll save money if you buy a gaming chair online, for example on Amazon.
The DXRacer King Series gaming office chair offers a little less support and racing-feeling compared to smaller, tighter gaming chairs. On the other hand, it offers particularly generous dimensions that give the seat more freedom and a consistently high level of seating comfort for many hours of gaming. Personally, we definitely prefer the feeling of the King’s seat. We also want to mention the silent standard rollers and the overall robust design and the good workmanship – little credit also for the anti-slip nubs on the base, as well as for the 5-way adjustable armrests.
Overall, the DXRacer King is a first-class gaming office chair and is currently one of our favorites, which we can almost recommend to everyone. Only very small or thin people should go for more compact models like the Vertagear SL-2000 / SL-4000 or the DXRacer Formula / Racing Series.
The DXRacer King Series might be the ideal gaming office chair out there. It combines the strengths of a gaming chair and an office chair. Sure, it loses a bit of the racing feeling due to its wide measurements, but its great comfort and flexibilty makes up for that. The K-Series is recommendation for those, who like to have enough space on their gaming office chair and are willing to spend a bit more money to gain this extra bit of comfort. Summarized in two words: Excellent product!